I have some family photographic prints made before the First World War. They have been stored out of the light at room temperature for the past 100+ years and, except for the clothes and home furnishings, they look like they could have been made last year. If, by some chance, my great great grandchildren come across a box of my photographs in 2118 I hope that the prints will have held up as well. Printing with pigment inks in black and white on 100% cotton paper makes that more likely to happen. The costs in this post are based on that approach. Continue reading “The Cost of Hybrid Film Photography Part 3 – Inkjet Prints”
Recently I wrote about catching the MF bug again and setting off to take some pictures with an old Rolleiflex. How did it turn out? Continue reading “Oh No! – UPDATE”
When I started developing my own film in the late 60’s I used half a dozen different films, three or four developers, stop bath concentrate, fixer with separate hardener, rinse aid, and lots and lots of tap water. Today I use just five materials: Continue reading “Developing Film 2 – Materials”
This is the first post in a series on how I develop film. These posts will not be a How To. They will not argue that my way is the best way. They will just describe how one person develops 35mm black & white film.
I’ll start with water. The only water I use when I develop film is a jug of distilled water. I use it for three reasons. Continue reading “Developing Film 1 – Distilled Water”
Some time ago I switched from 36 exposure rolls of 35mm film to 24 exposure rolls. I was holding the two ends of the film when it came out of the developing tank and snapping the film, rather than wiping it, to remove excess water. The 36 exposure rolls were right at the limit of my reach. I would occasionally lose my grip on one end and let it drop to the floor. Not a good thing. Switching to 24 exposure rolls solved that problem.
I hoped it would help with another problem too. Continue reading “Twelve Exposures”
In my continuing effort to simplify my photo materials I took a roll of test pictures with HP5 Plus and developed it with Rodinal (1+50). I already use Rodinal with FP4 Plus and it would be nice to have just one developer on the shelf.
I digitized the negatives as RAW files as I usually do with a Fuji X-T20 camera. My standard app for developing the Fuji X RAW files is Iridient X Transformer. Because this was an experiment, I ran the files through Iridient twice, Continue reading “Zero Sharpening”